Saturday, July 21, 2007

Things I Missed with Jim & Caleb

For me, the worst part of divorce is that my relationship with my boys has been forever changed.  The best way – God’s plan – is that divorce never happens and children always live with their parents.  Over the last fifteen years I’ve done a sometimes good and sometimes bad job of keeping a good relationship with them.  I suspect I could have done better.  I’m proud of them and love them but feel I could have been more influential in their lives.

And the non-custodial parent – that’s what the court calls me – gets four days a month to be with the kids.  At least that’s how it was in my case since their mother moved 120+ miles away.  I missed a lot of games and plays and concerts and just everyday living that you can’t really experience through a phone call.  I missed the Tooth Fairy, PTA, lunch at school…  They could probably create a longer list than I can.

Now I have two grown men and I still want to influence their lives.  I want them to be godly men.  In order to influence them in this way I have to be a good example.  I can’t miss these opportunities.

No comments: