Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Resolutions

"I am resolved no longer to linger..." These are the words to a Christian hymn that tells of a desire to flee the world and cling to God, to do his will. The word "linger" is a problem for me.
I piddle too much. Maybe you know how it is? "OK," I tell myself, "just one game of Hearts on the computer and then I'll get back to studying." "I'll quickly scan the news (paper and sites) then I'll move on." "Just one episode of Deal or No Deal and I'll be done."
I'm usually trying to meet deadlines at the last minute. I would much rather complete my tasks early and then have time for piddling. It just doesn't come easy for me even though I love the work I do and the preparation necessary for it.
So, a week and a half into the new year I'm making a resolution: I am resolved no longer to linger.

No comments: