Monday, January 05, 2009

Just in Time

 

I just returned from a mad dash to the bank. The deposit has to be in by 2:00 to count as today’s business. We have car payments drafting today so it was mandatory I make it in time.

Today is one of my favorite kinds of days. A wintry mix is falling from the sky! Mostly freezing rain. The air temp must be well below zero because the ice on the pine trees is beautiful. The roads were just wet; that was good! I did not have time to drive slow. I stayed with the speed limit, but I had to get there on time. A minute late would really cost us!

That reminds me of God’s call to each of us to come to Christ. We have time now to respond and accept Jesus as our Savior and Lord. But that time will come to an end – and we don’t know when! But when Jesus returns with those who have gone on before us, when he gathers those who are still alive, when he establishes his millennial reign…then it will be too late. (Those of you who do not agree with my historical premillennial sequence, please forgive me.)

The point is, no matter which view of the end times you adhere to, time ends and along with it, the opportunity to come to Christ. It’s like getting the deposit to the bank at 2:01. It’s too late!

There are so many people around us who are not Christ followers. They are still lost in their sin. They are on the clock. It’s up to me and you to share the truth of scripture with them so that they may come to Christ – even at the last minute – and escape perishing eternally.

By the way, my deposit receipt is stamped “1:58.”

No comments: