Saturday, March 28, 2009

Not enough practice

Everyone remembers Allen Iverson’s rant on “practice?” What a jerk. The best got on top and stay on top with practice. If anyone thinks they can remain at the pinnacle of their game without practice, well, they are mistaken.

Our kids are not pros. Nor are they even going to be the best in their league. We need practice but the weather is not cooperating. The field is too soggy…again. It’s not the coach’s fault; he’s doing everything he can to get in enough practice. I can see improvement in Riley’s abilities, but more importantly I can seen him learning to make better decisions on the field.

Every sport I’ve played required physical ability and mental concentration. The only reason I was ever any good was because I understood the game and could make good decisions that overcame my limited physical ability. I think coaching an 8-9 yr old team in baseball is about developing both the physical and mental capabilities of the players. Steve and Jeff are doing a good job of this. They just need a little help from the weather.

No comments: