Monday, May 10, 2010

Fully Charged!

I lost the charger for my cell phone for a few hours Saturday. I looked in all the normal places at home but did not find it. I looked in the car but it was not there. I went to my office but it was not in my computer bag and was not plugged into the wall or USB slot in my laptop. I even walked from the church to the house looking for it on the ground.

Soon my phone was shut off due to lack of power in the battery. That’s an awful feeling – both the actual lose of power and the losing of power. Questions like this ran through my mind. Should I try to catch up on the Words with Friends games where it was my turn to play? Should a check email and voice messages one more time? Should I hurry to town to buy another charger? It was an awful feeling!

The Bible tells us in Acts 1:8 that the Holy Spirit is our power. He gives us strength and energy for living. He is constantly present to keep us charged.

But I sometimes get disconnected and lose power. I begin to feel the drain and it’s an awful feeling. I start selecting what I will and won’t do. What I consider priorities and urgent needs gets so out of whack. What I should do gets shoved aside while I use what power I have to accomplish meaningless things.

I doesn’t have to be that way. I should never lose power. There is no reason for it because the source of power lives within me. (Notice that I did NOT say the source of power WAS me.) God himself lives within me to constantly recharge and energize me. Anything less than 100% is my fault. I didn’t take time to pray. I let my daily Bible reading slip. I didn’t consider God in my decisions. I put other things above my Lord. And then I lose power.

Reverse these things and I maintain power. Pray. Read my Bible. Look to God for guidance. Put him above all things. Fully charged!

Oh, I found my charger on my desk in the church office. I had placed a stack of papers on top of it.

No comments: