Saturday, July 09, 2011

Reflecting on Camp

I spent the week at camp with nine kids from our church (and one other adult). We had a great time and many of our students came home with some sense of how to live the way Jesus wants us to. And maybe they also have the desire to do it! CRBC had not been to a summer camp like this in so many years that the idea of "camp" wasn't on the radar for any of the students or their families. I'm hoping to change that so that camp is something they always do, look forward to doing, and plan to do.

Last year was the first time to go to camp in almost 15 years. We took five students last year, nine this year. Maybe we are on our way to that new mindset.

As I reflect on the week at camp, I think about the overall message we heard: Jesus is the way and the truth and the life. He is the way to salvation. He is the guide/pattern for the way we live. All the students we took to camp are Christians so the emphasis on salvation helped them in the area of assurance, which is extremely important. Once they are secure in their salvation, they can begin to live the Christian life that leads to ministry and blessing and fulfillment. The camp's theme helped our kids in both areas.

The new camp director is implementing a few changes. These changes are good and I'm sure I'll get use to them. This is not a complaint but a confession that I don't do well with changes unless I'm the one making the changes! Since I'm not the one in charge, I need to get on board with the ones who are. I can do that. I think.

Overall, the location is good, the travel is good, the cost is good, the programming is good, the emphasis is good. I'm looking forward to next year. The theme is "Superheroes." Wonder which one I should be.

No comments: