Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Election Day

The first Tuesday of November is marked on our calendars as Election Day in the USA. I'm glad we live in a country that respects the right to vote, protects it, and practices it. I'm glad I "early voted"! I've driven past several polling places today and the crowds are huge. Not so much a huge crowd of voters, but a huge crowd of campaigners standing as close to the polling place as legally allowed. I'm surprised there aren't accidents at these places with all the distractions taking drivers' minds off the road.

I'm thinking today of another election day. And it has nothing to do with politics. The first Thursday of August in 1972 was the day I chose to follow Jesus and entered into an eternal relationship with him. I just had my 40th spiritual birthday a few months ago. I know I've not looked, sounded, or acted like a Christian all those days since the summer of '72, but Jesus has always been King of kings, Lord of lords, and my Savior. The politicians elected today are likely to stumble or change their minds or just outright do the opposite of what they've told us they would do. Jesus is never like that. He's faithful and true.

Some people are disappointed with the choice they made four years ago. Four years from now some people will be disappointed with the choice they make today. But I've never been disappointed in choosing Jesus forty years ago and I'll never be disappointed for the next forty million years...or longer!

I have strong opinions about the choices you make in the voting booth today, but I'm more concerned that you choose to follow Jesus. That's the most important choice you'll make today or any day. Questions? Send me a message; I'd love to talk with you about following Jesus.

No comments: