Friday, May 17, 2013

Gathering My Thoughts

I was watching the Chick-Fil-A Leadercast with a few dozen other ministers from Arkansas last week at the state convention office chapel. I need to tell you that things are different under the new leadership of Sonny Tucker. We were allowed to have drinks (with lids, of course) in the chapel. I'm assuming that's a new practice since we were not allowed to do that the last time I had a meeting in that room. Change is good.

One of the speakers said that thoughts that only stayed in your mind would consume so much of your thinking process that you would get overwhelmed. Actually, the brain can only do one thing at a time. What we call "multi-tasking" is actually impossible for the brain to do. What really takes place is that the brain is focusing on one thing at a time and it's really good at switching back and forth from one thing to another really fast. I know it's true for me and maybe it is for you, too; thoughts that are not tied down to something - like a piece of paper or a computer note file - easily get swept away with all that switching back and forth. I imagine my brain switches away from one thought then can't find it when it tries to come back to it a nano-second later.

I'm forgetful. So I write it down. If I want to remember it later. Many great sermon or song ideas have been lost forever because I didn't write them down.

The struggle to keep a thought alive in our mind consumes mental resources. While I'm struggling to remember the grocery list I can't think about anything else. And when I try to remember a phone number I forget the grocery list. I've heard of tips and tricks to help improve your memory and these aren't intended to help you keep a thought in the forefront of your mind but to enable you to recall the thought later. Like writing it down in your mind. I'm not much good at that so I put it in my iPhone.

Think about this: by making notes, putting appointments on your calendar, keeping lists of things to do, etc., you are freeing up your mental resources to do other things. If you have a keen memory then you may not have to write down as much as the rest of us. If you don't have a keen memory then start writing it down. You'll become more productive and creative. You'll even be more relaxed and sleep better. If I have systems in place to help me remember what to do and when to do it, I don't have to worry about what I'm supposed to do or when I'm supposed to do it.

We have tons of resources to help us do this. Computers, smart phones, paper and pen. You have no excuse not to become more productive, creative, relaxed, and rested.

No comments: