Tuesday, December 10, 2013

I Will Pray for You

Christians like to pray. We spend a lot of time when we get together requesting prayer for one another. Sickness. Family problems. Job issues. Decisions. Salvation. Spiritual maturity.

Most often, we know the people we are praying for. They may be members of our churches or families. We pray for friends of friends and coworkers. We pray for missionaries we've met in videos or prayer guides. And then we pray at times for people we've not met and know nothing about.

The Bible tells us we should pray. "Ask whatever you wish." "Ask in my name." "Pray for one another." "Pray without ceasing." "Approach the throne of grace with confidence." And so on.

I received a phone call last night from a member of our church. Her daughter recently moved out of state and one of her new friends needs prayer. So I sent the request to our prayer chain and I prayed, too.

I don't know her. I will probably never meet her. I only know her first name. I don't know where she works. I don't know about her family.

But I know she needs prayer because of a life-threatening medical situation.

A friend, fellow pastor, and mentor once told me that if I ever tell someone that I'll pray for them to immediately breathe a prayer. I should spend more time praying later but in that moment - and to keep my word - breathe a prayer.

Have you ever felt like you should do something for someone but felt like you could do nothing? Pray.

Prayer is not a last resort; it's a first response.

Prayer is not the least you can do; it's the best you can do.

Prayers are not empty words spoken into an empty heaven; prayers are words of power and conviction placed on the ear of the Lord God Almighty.

Praying is not a sign of resignation; praying is a sign of confidence and trust.

Read the lyrics of a gospel song I used to sing.

I can pray out loud or silently.
I can pray standing tall or on my knees.
It really makes no difference, just that prayer is the key
Because prayer changes things and it changes me.

I will pray for you because I know it matters.

No comments: