Thursday, January 08, 2015

How Wisdom Helps

I'm reading one proverb from the Bible each day this year. During January I am posting to social media a verse or two that jump off the page to me each day. Proverbs is part of the Bible's wisdom literature. I've not gone a day (not just this year but ever) reading from Proverbs that I have not been challenged by truth and grown in wisdom.

I encourage you to read the Bible each day. Some of you will want to read a few verses. You'll study them or maybe just move on. Others will want to study larger portions of scripture each day, going in depth to hear from God. Still others will try to read the entire Bible this year. If you are looking to read God's Word regularly, I commend you! And I suggest you look at bible.com if you need plans for your reading.

As I read Proverbs 8 (because today is the 8th day of the month) I came across these words in verse 13:

All who fear the Lord will hate evil.

Do you struggle with evil? Maybe we don't want to admit that we do because we associate evil with terrible things like rape, murder, child abuse, and terrorism. Certainly, those are evil. According to the Bible, dishonesty and manipulation and a critical spirit are also evil. Stealing, selfishness, and bitterness are evil, too.

So do you struggle with evil? Yes, we do.

Do you give in to evil?

Do you hate evil? Hatred for evil is a by product of fear for the Lord.

Maybe a person doesn't hate evil because he doesn't fear the Lord.

A person who fears the Lord:
  • will be guided by Him (Psalm 25:12)
  • will have all they need (Psalm 34:9)
  • delight in obeying His commands (Psalm 112:1)
  • have the Lord as helper and shield (Psalm 115:11)
  • will be blessed (Psalm 115:13)
  • will follow His ways (Psalm 128:1)
  • will gain knowledge of God (Prov 2:5)
  • will turn away from evil (Prov 3:7)
  • follow the right path (Prov 14:2)
  • are secure (Prov 14:26)
  • will not envy sinners (Prov 23:17)

These are just the promises that come from Psalms and Proverbs for those who fear the Lord.

Here's my take-away today. I am better equipped to withstand temptations when I respect who God is and what he says. I am better prepared for life when I fear the Lord.

No comments: