Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Which Way?

In our devotion time this morning, Deana and I talked about God's timing. I like to think I am a patient person. I don't want to rush ahead of God. Should I act too quickly I will most likely make a mistake.

Just as bad as acting hastily is erring on the side of caution. Can you be too patient?

No, you can't be too patient because patience is simply waiting for God's timing. But you can so drag your feet IN THE NAME OF PATIENCE that you miss the opportunity.

In my desire to not act hastily I miss opportunity. My actions seem to say, "God, show me an open door. OK, there it is. Now push me through it."

Dr. Lemley, my college accounting professor, used to say accountants were doubly cautious. They wear a belt AND suspenders.

I want God to sky-write my directions. I want a courier and a trumpeter to show up on my doorstep. I want every commercial in every local newscast to be God's instructions to me.

So I wait patiently and hope I haven't already missed it.

Sometimes I don't understand God and his ways.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. (Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT)

No comments: