Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Supervised Visitation

For the first time I saw what must have been supervised visitation.

While Riley was at football practice I went to Chick-fil-A to drink coffee and get a little work done. About halfway through the cup of coffee a couple came in. They looked like they had "cleaned up" to the point of looking a little out of place.

He ordered a small soft drink after verifying that he could get unlimited refills. My mind went to a place I ashamed to admit.

They sat at a table near the door. She pulled out a small princess lunchbox from her bag and put it on the table. Without knowing any of their story I formed an opinion.

Within ten minutes the couple jumped up and ran outside. I looked over the top of my glasses thinking, "What in the world?"

They came back in with another woman who had an infant boy and a little girl. The mother (it turns out) loved on her daughter. The father (it turns out) couldn't get to his son fast enough.

The woman who had just came in with the children turned so I could see she was wearing a DHS name badge.

The children are in foster care. The parents get to see them very little and only under supervision.

There are a few aspects of the story that are just sad. The parents have done something that the state deemed worthy of taking custody of the children. While this happens too frequently, I suppose the state most often is doing the right thing for the children. I know that might not be the case in your situation and I wish the state always  did the right thing. But if parents conduct themselves in ways that put the children in danger then I think the state is right to step in. Childbearing and rearing should be left to adults and adults must take responsibility for their actions and face the consequences.

But the children live in an unnatural situation. The people I know who foster and/or adopt are some of the best people I know. They are giving these children an improved environment for nurture. I especially like it when foster/adoptive parents are Christians who can impact these children for eternity.

Still, a child being raised by the biological parents in a stable home is a great advantage. So it is sad when the parents take that away from the children.

But the scene at Chick-fil-A had glimmer of hope. The parents are working on the issues that led to the children being in foster care. I hope that in time as they do the right things the family can be reunited.

The couple swapped kids and continued to love on them. The dad must have been tight on money so he bought a small drink with unlimited refills so he could buy his daughter something to eat a little later. The lunchbox was a gift for a girl who could very easily never know what it feels like to be loved by her parents. They "cleaned up" because they had a most special appointment.

They are trying. As quickly as I formed first opinions about the couple I changed my mind. I think they are trying to get past their problems. I hope they make it. They won't by the time their daughter turns 4 in a couple of weeks but maybe they will by the time their son turns 1 next Spring.

I was unable to speak with them and will likely never see them again (although I am willing to sit at Chick-fil-A drinking coffee almost every day!). But I pray that they get all the help they need and that it will include spiritual help pointing them to Jesus Christ.

Through Jesus they can know forgiveness and release from the guilt of the sins that threatened to tear apart this family.

Through Jesus they can learn the pathway to follow to rebuild trust that's been lost.

Through Jesus they can win the battles of temptation that have so far overwhelmed them.

I know because that's what he's done for me.

No comments: