Thursday, November 03, 2016

The Greatest Game

The Cubs' fanbase is widespread, nation wide. Not many teams can boast that. In part, it's because of WGN. Almost every game was cabled or dished into almost every home in America. This was at a time when you didn't have the broadcast choices we have now. The Braves benefit from a similar setup.

Many in my generation fell in love with teams we saw on the Saturday Game of the Week on NBC. For me it was the Reds.

Others chose their favorite team because of late night AM radio broadcasts and legendary voices.

Broadcasting ingrained a love for the game and a team in our lives. I miss those days. The 2016 World Series solidifies baseball as my favorite sport even though my team didn't make it. My team lost almost as many games as the Cubs won.

But if you can't enjoy what happened last night, you may just need to listen to more games on the radio.

No comments: