Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Let Go

This morning I was making lunch to take to school. I brown bag it, as they say. Usually a sandwich, some pretzels, a granola bar, maybe some carrots. Less than half the time I remember to put in napkins.

Today I remembered! But it wasn't napkins; instead I grabbed the paper towels. And therein lies the problem…and the lesson for today.

I held the roll of paper towels in my left hand, took the loose end in my right hand and gently tugged. The grip I had on the roll with my left hand was either too loose or too tight. I haven't figured that out, yet. But when I tugged the roll came out of my left hand, hit the floor, and began to roll away.

Picture this: the floor is filled with paper towels. That's what I perceived would happen so I let go of the loose end that I held with my right hand.

Guess what happened. That's right! The roll hit the floor but didn't empty its entire contents. I picked it up, rolled up the few sheets that had spooled off, tore off the two sheets I wanted, stuffed them in my lunch bag, and went on my way.

Here's the lesson for today. When you drop the roll of paper towels, let go of the loose end you are holding.

No, really, here's the lesson. Life can quickly unravel and when it does you may (probably will) just stand there holding on to the other end of what's unraveling. Let go. How many people cling to the trouble in their lives and things just get worse? Too many. I have. You probably have, too. Let go.

Instead, cling to something that will not unravel. Hold on to something stable.

In our morning devotion yesterday, my wife and I were talking about the emptiness that is left when a loved one dies. The same sense of helplessness and hopelessness can follow losses of many kinds, not just the death of a parent. If your job is the most important thing to you then if you lose your job you can fall into despair. If a person is at the core of who you are and that person leaves or hurts you or dies then your life can unroll like the paper towels.

But if you have Jesus at the core of your life then you will have stability even when circumstances are unstable. If you have Jesus at the core of your life then you won't feel hopeless when relationships crumble or dreams take a bad turn or you stumble.

Why? Because Jesus never changes, he his dependable, he is a sure foundation to build your life upon. Nothing can be for you who Jesus is. So let go of the other stuff and stand firm in Jesus.

No comments: