Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Songs

 Christmas songs churn up memories. Any time of year, too.

"Gather 'round and I will tell the story of a Christmas bell..." I can hear Lynn Anderson singing that just as clearly today as when I was a kid at my grandparents' house. For those of you unfortunate souls who don't know, "Ding-a-ling the Christmas Bell" is a classic. It's on Spotify so do yourself and your family a favor and play it...today!

It's hard to beat Burl Ives singing anything related to Christmas. Can't you see the animation when he sings "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer"? And "A Holly Jolly Christmas" is top-shelf.

Several years ago I was sitting in a Starbucks working on a sermon. They were playing Christmas music - a CD you could buy in the shop, "Under the Mistletoe." I bought it. Bob Dylan singing "Here Comes Santa Claus" is worth a few minutes of your time.

The Cathedral Quartet did an a capella Christmas album years ago - in the 80's maybe. Outstanding arrangements, vocals, song selections. I hear this in my head often and with my ears occasionally.

When I was a radio DJ playing Southern Gospel music, I loved Christmastime because of the really good music the groups released. I still have many of the CDs the record companies sent out to the DJs.

Y'all know that I love the Statler Brothers. The Statlers' Christmas albums are outstanding. "Who Do You Think," "Old Toy Trains," and "Somewhere in the Night" are songs I love to hear and love to sing when I get the chance. Many-a nursing home resident has endured my renditions.

For a year I was interim music director at Second Baptist Church in Russellville. My job was to keep the church singing and keep the choir together. I'm so glad Al Ray Taylor came along when he did! I loved that season and have fond memories of it.

One memory is from the Christmas musical of 1996. One of the songs told about John the Baptist preparing the way for Jesus. "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord" I think was the name of the song. Like many choir songs do, this one had a spot toward the end with a key change and I thought a punch in intensity would be appropriate. We practiced and the choir did great.

When that place in the song came up, I gave the choir the signal to punch it. And they did. I think I kept waving my hands like music guys are supposed to do. But I know I was sobbing uncontrollably. I was so overwhelmed by the message, the music, the performance. Much like I am right now. Can I get a hankie, please.

So this is Christmas Eve. Surely nobody will object to you playing Christmas music today. Sing along. Sing loud so I can hear you.

No comments: