Tuesday, November 14, 2006

What you CAN do

Lori was a little irritated with me. I kept complaining about something at work. Someone demanded something of me and it just wouldn't work that way! "It won't work. I'm telling you, it won't work!"

"Then tell me what you CAN do!"

Yikes. That hurt. But she was right.

Now, let's take off the "job" hat and put on the "pastor" hat. So many folks at church can only tell me why ideas for outreach and ministry won't work.

Helping a needy family who has requested help for Christmas: "those kids are old enough to get a job," "is there a husband in the house?" "we don't want to give them money and nobody has clothes the size they need."

I just don't believe it!

Canvasing the neighborhood for prospects: "we've done that" (twenty years ago), "everyone in the neighborhood goes to church somewhere," "too many in the neighborhood have ill feelings toward the church" (from twenty years ago).

I just don't believe it!

What we CAN do is follow God and trust God. Faith is believing that God will be God and do what only God can do. What we CAN'T do God CAN do!

Just believe it!

No comments: