Monday, January 22, 2007

Sandy's Freedom

Sandy is our 6-month old dog. She has been home with us for a couple of weeks. We've been keeping her in the garage in a crate except for play time and potty time. She's used to that. Last weekend we bought a 30' lead connected to a stake we placed in the back yard. It took a little experimenting on our part to place the stake in the right place. At first I had her too close to too many things around which she could wrap the lead. Then she was close enough to the steps leading up to the deck (about 15 steps) that she could get half-way up. I was afraid she would jump off and hang herself. Now she's far enough away from anything that might hurt her, I think.

I just put her out there so she could spend most the day outside since it's not raining. But she stands as far as the lead will allow and whines. I'm sure she'll get used to it; if not, I'll get used to the whining.

Isn't she acting just like people act? We have boundaries on how we are to live yet we like to stand at the edge of the boundaries and whine. Sociologists call these people "deviants." Many of them end up on TV or in the movies. OK, maybe it's just the Jerry Springer Show but it's still TV!

There is no difference with Christians. The Bible clearly states that since we are in a relationship with Jesus Christ we have both freedom and restrictions. God gives us boundaries in biblical instruction but we are so free to move within the boundaries; there's plenty of room for differences in lifestyle within the boundaries of Christianity. I'm not embracing sin nor saying sin is OK but there is plenty of fun, excitement, challenge, etc., within Christianity - within the boundaries God established.

I've forgotten most of what I learned in Mr. Drittler's Geometry class so I can't quickly figure the area of a circle. But I do know that Sandy is on a 30' lead so she has a circle of freedom that is 60' wide - lots of room to roam and play. More than a crate in the garage! Maybe she'll learn to enjoy the freedom she now has. Maybe Christians will learn that, too.

I wonder if God ever gets used to the whining?

No comments: