Friday, February 09, 2007

Pop Culture

I don’t know when our judgment began to wane.  It used to be that “news” was about politics, schools, the economy, and such.  Then our judgment went sour and the death of a “model” dominates the news websites and cable networks.  Obviously, I don’t agree with her lifestyle and I get just as irritated at the news media with the clamor surrounding the death of entertainment icons I do admire.  This is not a commentary on Anna Nicole Smith; rather a question regarding why we call “news” the things we now call “news.”

The bombing of the World Trade Centers deserved wall-to-wall coverage.  The initial invasion of Iraq deserved “above the fold” space – although the around-the-clock stuff probably hurts the cause much more than it is a benefit to the public.  National elections deserve much attention.  Health epidemics should be “broad”-cast.

I think I just answered my “Why?” question.  A broadcast is a term indicating that the information is presented to a large audience.  The programs or news items are broadcast because there is a great demand for them.  The audience is “broad” as opposed to “narrow” or “small.”  In a culture not known in America for many years once was greatly interested in a different kinds of news.

Our culture today is different.  There is a segment of the culture known as “pop culture” (popular culture).  I’m not normal and I hope you aren’t, either.  Pop culture is the stuff consisting of the goings-on of models, movie stars, sports figures.  So a model (please understand that there is a difference between a model and a Playboy model) dies an untimely death and it is the headline.  Another example: murders happen everyday but the sports figure is involved so it makes the headlines.  Need more proof?  OJ Simpson.  His celebrity drew the attention to the case; not the crime.

But keeping up with the stars is America’s favorite pastime.  That’s why we have Dancing with the Stars.  Aren’t all the reality shows really only about regular people wanting to be a star?  Pop culture!

This changes how churches do church.  If we continue to try to reach those lost in the culture (actually, lost in their sin) like we did decades ago, we will miss the mark (which is sin, too).  Christians have to understand the people within the context of the current culture in order to reach them.  Please note that I do not say we should adapt the message to the culture; but the messenger must adapt his method to the culture.

For me, this is a work in process.  I first must get past the irritation for such lifestyles that is deep within me.  The irritation is healthy if it motivates me to introduce them to Jesus so that they can begin to live to glorify him.  Otherwise, the irritation is simply a stumbling block (which is a sin).

Once I get past the irritation issue I must then find ways to become all things to all people.  I think that means using a method that communicates in the pop culture while leaving the message as it is.  Who said ministry was easy?

No comments: