Thursday, May 07, 2009

National Day of Prayer

Cross Road Baptist Church had a prayer service this morning at 7:00. Attendance was light but the prayer was awesome. I’m expecting another group at Noon. We’ll finish the breakfast snacks from this morning and have awesome prayer again.

The prayer guide provided by NDP includes a prompt to pray for those in authority over us. I struggled with that because I disagree with the core beliefs of our President. If he gets everything (anything, really) he wants, then that will take America away from what I think it ought to be. I am a fiscal conservative and a social conservative. I think taxes should be lower and that government should stop wasting money on needless spending programs including much of what passes as welfare. I think abortion and gay marriage are wrong based on the truth found in the Bible. President Obama and I don’t agree on these issues and many other.

But I am supposed to pray for him. Not just because the prayer guide provided by NDP says so, but because the PRAYER GUIDE provided by God – called the Bible – says so. “Pray for those in authority.” “Honor the King.” “Render unto Caesar what is Caesar’s.” Praying for and respecting Barack Obama are required; agreeing with him and hoping he succeeds are not.

So I prayed for him. And I prayed for state leaders who promoted a state lottery and won. I prayed for judges who uphold Roe v. Wade. I prayed for members of Congress who raise taxes and elevate spending and create dependency on the government.

And I prayed that God will bring great revival in my life, for my family and church, and in our country in spite of those who reject him and his truth.

No comments: