Thursday, May 14, 2009

Reading Glasses

I am 45 years, 8 days old. And the eye doctor said this would happen. March 2008: "I can help you with your reading now or we can wait but we can't wait very long." He must have the spiritual gift of prophecy.

So here I am with my reading glasses. Here's my dilema. I am nearsighted and could not read the computer screen in front of me without glasses or contact lenses. I wear contacts most of the time. This is good for seeing road signs, too! I can read even small print without glasses or contacts but with them in I can't. So if I'm wearing glasses I prop them up on my head while I'm reading and drop them down when I look across the room. If I'm wearing contacts I wear the reading glasses to read and prop them up on my head while I look across the room.

I'm afraid of the next step.

Sometimes I'm myopic spiritually, too. I focus on the near things but neglect the far. I put energy into what I am doing right now and lose sight of the big picture. I sometimes think that everything filters through me.

The result is a shallow relationship with God and even less with the lost world. I'm to the point that I'm willing to put everything up for review. No sacred cows in my life. I want God to lead me in an assessment of my personal and professional life, in my family and in my church.

If there is anything myopic I'm willing to let it go. If there is anything useless I am willing to purge it. If there is anything to adjust I am willing to adjust.

I will learn from the past but will not dwell there. I will look to the future to form my present. I will live each day as if I do not survive until tomorrow.

I'll do anything. But I'm not ready for bifocals. Yet.

No comments: