Saturday, July 04, 2009

World Famous Pancakes

The non-custodial dad has to find a way to make his four days a month count. Thus the evolution of the World Famous Pancakes. It’s a secret recipe full of hope. “I hope these turn out!” is always on my mind.

It’s probably not the pancakes themselves that are World Famous but rather the experience. The boys rarely saw Dad do much that was just for them. Don’t get me wrong, almost everything I did was just for them, they just didn’t see it. But they saw and helped on Saturday mornings – excuse me, on every-other-Saturday mornings – and a tradition was born. Perhaps I should say a tradition was borne.

A Dad will do just about anything to see his kids smiling and happy. I hope they also caught the flare and the style and the story. World Famous Pancakes are not just “breakfast,” but are really an event at the Loyd household. One of my high callings in life is that of family man; so I take this pretty seriously. And I hope I have passed along the important lesson that kids deserve a great Dad no matter what the circumstances may be. I hope I measure up.

Speaking of “measuring up,” I will now release my secret recipe for World Famous Pancakes. Nah!

No comments: