Monday, April 19, 2010

Yo-Yo

I signed up for a weight-loss contest about a month ago. I lost about 10 pounds in the first 3 weeks but my weight has crept back up the last few days. I have to get on top of this!

One of my former employers was a pretty big guy. He said he had lost a hundred pounds – the same ten over and over again. He also said he was working on his second million. He had given up on the first.

I guess I’m not alone in this struggle. Exhibit A would be the number of health/fitness gadgets you can buy from an info-mercial. Exhibit B is the TV show that is a contest to lose weight. I could go on and on, but the point is that many of us struggle with our weight.

After a recent church service, we had homemade ice cream and cookies. I had a small portion of ice cream and two cookies. The guy sitting next to me said, “Get some more. It won’t make you fat.”

While I was thinking how to respond with something catchy, he leaned in and said, “You’re already fat.” He’s right.

So, up and down I go. But I have to do better. The Bible says that my body is a temple of the Holy Spirit. When I can see dust on top of the piano at church I get a little irritated. When the bathroom trashcans aren’t emptied, I do it myself because I don’t want anyone else to see the church is a mess. I have to take that approach to maintaining the temple of the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

Jesse said...

Bob, thanks for this blog. I "yo-yo" too and have been under real conviction about my diet. When they first diagnosed my heart issues, I followed a strict heart healthy diet. It is difficult to maintain because there is little or no "fat-free" as you know. With all the traveling I do, I have used the excuse of it being hard here to let myself put back on the weight I lost. Over the last few days, I have really been convicted of my need to change my diet and beef up my exercise despite the extra effort it takes to get my "temple" back in order here in the land of sour cream and mayonaisse. Then I come to your blog and here it is again. I too must get on top of this weight issue and thank you for sharing your struggles. I have joined Weight Watchers online and pulled out an old First Place Bible Study to help me get back on top of this. Thanks again for helping me to acknowledge my sin and work my way back to the top of this thing.