Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Emphasizing Evangelism

I’ve been thinking. That could lead to trouble! But maybe not; let’s see how this goes.

What if every Christian would have a meaningful gospel conversation with an unbeliever this week? What would happen? Can you imagine the impact that would have?

I’ve read articles citing studies indicating that fewer than 5% of believers ever have such a conversation. And we wonder why the church is not keeping pace with population growth in Arkansas? Five people are doing the work for themselves and nineteen other people when it comes to sharing their faith. And every believe is called by God to do it. It certainly is not the 5% who are at fault.

Churches work like this (at least the churches I’ve been involved with): any person who shows any interest in do anything in/for/through the church is allowed to do it asked to do more. This enables the people who show no interest or little interest to be spectators when Christianity is really an all-involved undertaking.

So I’m guessing that if this holds true with most situations in churches it holds true in evangelism, too. If a person shows interest in sharing the gospel, then those who have little or no interest in it sit back and let them do it.

Maybe the 5% has some responsibility for the problem. Not in the fact that they are sharing, because we are all supposed to share. But in the fact that they probably gladly accept the extra responsibility placed upon them by those with little or no interest. Anyone who is carrying the load for someone else, when the other person can and should be carrying their own load, is hurting the spread of the gospel. How can this be? Well, it seems obvious to me that more people can win more people to Christ. One person can lead a few more to Christ – all of us could. But many more people involved in sharing their faith will result in multiplication or exponential growth.

I’m taking an honest look at my evangelistic activity to see where I can do more – not more than I should, but as much as I should. Will you join me in that pursuit? Maybe you can do better; I think I can.

I’m also evaluating my leadership. I should be leading the people whom I pastor to share their faith. I can do better at that, too. And I will when evangelism becomes a priority in reality for me.

And I’m going to pray for evangelism more than I have before. I will pray for the lost to be saved and for the saved to reach out to the lost.

No comments: