Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Taking Daniel's Lesson to Heart

We will wrap up our study of Daniel in our midweek Bible study tonight. We started on July 31 last year and only missed a handful of Wednesday nights due to my absence or special events. I enjoy working methodically through a book of the Bible. I spent a year in James! We really drilled down to some deep concepts. Not quite as deep with Daniel - I didn't think my folks would put up with it again! But it's been good.
In the last chapter we find Daniel in a similar situation as ours. He's heard from the Lord about the end of time. He doesn't understand it. He asks the Lord for more understanding. We can learn from God's answer to Daniel.
The Lord told Daniel to go on living to bring glory to God and not worry about what he doesn't understand. Those who live in the last days will find the understanding they need. There's no promise that anyone living prior to that time will gain a full understanding.
We would do well to heed God's advice and just go on living to bring glory to him. We do that by expressing our love to him, our love for him to others, our love for others. We bring glory to God by expressing his love for others to them. Our lives of joy and obedience bring glory to God. Strong marriages and families honor the Lord. There are so many ways that we can bring glory to God in our lives. That should be our focus.
It's good to understand God's word. I spend a lot of my time in that discipline. But I must admit that some things are beyond my understanding. But I do know that somehow God helps me know what I need to know for the situation I'm going through.
That's a good lesson from the last chapter of Daniel. God told Daniel go his way, to rest (in this life and in death), and be assured of the resurrection and reward that awaits his faithfulness.
That's how I want to live my life.

No comments: