Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Rain, Prayers, and Facebook

A few days ago we were complaining about the yellow powder covering our cars. "A little rain will clear the pollen from the air and rinse off our cars," we thought.

Now it's been raining for almost 24 hours - raining hard. My Facebook status feed is filled with people lamenting the overabundance of rain. Seems like we are never satisfied.

I wonder if God would answer a prayer like this: "Lord, we need a little rain. Just enough to clear the air and rinse off the cars. Not too much, though. And can you make it happen while we are sleeping so we don't lose any of our time and plans? Oh, and no storms. No storms!"

Yes, God will answer that prayer. Probably with this: "Hey, let me guide the weather! I know much more about this than you do. And my plans are better than your plans."

Or he might answer like this: "Yes, I'll give you exactly what you want to teach you that your prayers are sometimes - often - selfish. You don't really know what the plant life needs. You don't really know what the water table needs. You don't really know all that a heavy rain will accomplish."

Have you ever heard this answer from God? "No!" Nothing more. No explanation.

I'm not much different than my friends on Facebook. I prayed that the rain wouldn't start until my early morning walk was completed yesterday. And I'm hoping it quits in time for my walk tomorrow morning.

I guess there's no harm in asking but I must be flexible to adapt to God's will. Too often my will is rigid and that's when it's hard to get to know God better. At the top of my "To Do" list is getting to know my Lord and Savior better and better each day. So I must learn to put aside my desires and take up his. Then when I pray I'll be asking him to do what he wants to do. Then we are both satisfied.

No comments: