Friday, June 08, 2012

Ed Meux

If you read this blog or connect with me in social media you know Ed Meux and the struggle he's had for the last six months.

Ed broke his hip on December 8, 2011. His first day back home was Tuesday. The doctor said that Ed's condition would not improve after months of infection and ensuing problems. Ed chose to go home rather than to a nursing home.

Ed went home to be with the Lord on June 8, 2012. His healing that we've all prayed for is now complete. But we are left to heal even amid the celebration for Ed.

I met Ed on Sunday, November 5, 2006 when I preached in view of a call at Cross Road Baptist Church. After the noon meal and Q&A period, Ed came to me privately and asked if I had an issue with a divorced man serving as a deacon. We talked about his situation and the biblical teachings. I told him I had no problem with him serving as a deacon.

Ed looked me in the eye and said, "OK, Bro. Bob, I'll support you and go anywhere and do anything you want."

Ed kept his word.

I learned of Ed's death while I'm away on a mission trip in Alaska. I am confident Ed would be here, too, had the last six months been different.

Ed spent more time in direct contact with me than any other church member other than Deana and Riley. He stopped by the office for coffee, to talk about the new building, to share news of health issues, to pray about his family, and to show his support for me. We talked on the phone often. We shared meals. We joined his family at the lake.

He loves the Lord, his family, and our church. Uniting them all is John 3:16. Ed said that there is enough Gospel in that verse to save the world if we will tell it and they will believe it. He's right about that.

Ed is with the Lord in eternity. I know he left this world concerned that his family prepare to meet the Lord and that his church grow and be healthy. That pretty well sums up over five years of conversations Ed and I shared.

Pray for Shirley, their children, and extended family. Pray for our church, too.

No comments: