Saturday, June 16, 2012

Unexpected Morning

I'm used to getting up at 4:30 on Saturday mornings to go walking/running with our fitness group at CRBC. Today was no different except that all the ladies had already checked out leaving just Forrest and me. So the alarm went off at 4:30, I got up and washed my face, then headed to the church to meet Forrest.

That's when the expected things stopped. Forrest got there just a minute or two before the 5:00 start time. As soon as he stepped out of his vehicle he said, "This is going to be hard."

Forrest has thyroid problems and is on meds for that. The big impact is that he runs out of energy in the early afternoon of workdays. He's not been feeling well lately and today started out rough. After a minute of talking with him I realized (he did, too) that we weren't heading down Rushing Road this morning.

Instead, Forrest blacked out and hit the ground. I rushed to him, found him unconscious, and called 911. And I called his wife. And I called upon the Lord.

I must say that the West Pulaski Fire Department responded quickly. It seemed like a long time as I knelt beside Forrest but it was only a few minutes. The three men responding and the EMTs from the ambulance service went to work getting Forrest stabilized and headed to the hospital.

Don't yet know exactly what happened. He'll spend the weekend in the hospital and let the doctors poke and prod on him.

Since we started walking in January, I've grown to love and respect Forrest even more. Today held an unexpected turn. I'm relieved that Forrest is getting back to normal - expect for the bumps and bruises. The staff at Baptist Hospital ought to have a fun time this weekend.

No comments: