Friday, October 05, 2012

Weekly Devotional - October 5, 2012

"And without faith it is impossible to please God."
Hebrews 11:6 NIV
 
Riley has been playing baseball for seven years. I won't say that he is a natural but he has learned the basics very well. He's in his second season of football and I can't say he's got the basics of this game down yet. But he's learning!
 
I go to all the practices. I'd really like to help coach like I do in baseball but I sit in my red folding chair ($10 from Walmart) like a bunch of other parents. Riley likes defense better than offense. He's worked his way onto the starting defensive unit. And when the first team offense is practicing, he loves to play on the defensive scout team.
 
So he plays on defense for most of the practice. His position is usually on the same side of the practice field where I'm sitting. When he makes a good play he looks over at me and I give him a thumbs up.
 
Riley wants to please me. He wants to know that I am pleased with him. He doesn't look for the affirmation with baseball because he's been doing it long enough to know when he's done something that will please me. But with football I get several glances each practice and game.
 
Christians ought to want to please God. You should try to live so as to please your father. But what does God expect? What pleases God? The simple answer is: faithfulness. The more in depth answer is: faithfulness.
 
"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." That classic definition comes from Hebrews 11:1. When your hope is in Christ Jesus you can have faith. When you believe although you do not see, you have faith. Trusting God to do what only he can do is living by faith.
 
And if you live like this and then glance toward your heavenly father, he'll give you a thumbs up. Pray that God will help you help you live by faith and be pleased with you as his child.

No comments: