Wednesday, February 06, 2013

Expecting an E-mail

So I'm expecting an e-mail pretty soon. It's not the usual e-mail because this one will come from heaven.

A church member was diagnosed with breast cancer about a year and a half ago and she's now nearing the end of her earthly battle. She told me today that she'd e-mail me from heaven. We laughed because she's never sent me an e-mail down here. She admits to knowing almost nothing about computers. But in heaven, hey, all things are new! We'll not be plagued with the kinds of things that slow us down on earth. Maybe Mary will know how to send e-mail, check and update her Facebook page, upload pictures and videos, and lots of other stuff.

Probably so but I'm not sure how handy that will be. I'm not sure what heaven will be like. Nobody knows and if they say they do they are not being truthful. The Bible says that eyes and ears cannot see or hear what God has in store for us. My friend Rex Horne spoke at my wife's grandfather's funeral. He said that when Ed Abel woke up in heaven and looked around he likely took in all the sights and sounds of heaven. Heaven was more amazing, awesome, magnificent, unbelievable, and inspiring than Ed could have imagined. Then Dr. Horne said that Ed probably said, "Well, of course! This is exactly what heaven should be!"

I like that way of describing it. Heaven will be beyond our imagination but we will be able to immediately recognize it as God's handiwork. I just don't know if we'll send and receive e-mail there. I'm pretty sure we won't be sending e-mail from heaven to earth so maybe I ought not get too excited about getting Mary's e-mail. But if I do I'm going to be REALLY excited!

Mary is facing death with confidence. I asked her yesterday how we could pray for her. She said with raised eyebrows, "God's got this!" Whatever "this" is, Mary knows God is in control. "This" could be a lengthy physical fight on the line between life and death. "This" could be the quick escape from the trappings of this world into the freedom of eternity. God's got this!

For you, "this" could be a marriage that seems to be falling apart. "This" could be wayward children that drive you to your knees in prayer. "This" could be the uncertainty of a job. "This" could be a medical diagnosis you never wanted to hear. "This" could be a stack of unpaid bills and threats from collectors.

God's got this.

The big question is, Does God have you? Are you part of his family? Can you face uncertainty with hope and confidence because you know you are his? The answer to these questions can be "Yes!" if you have placed your faith in Jesus Christ for salvation.

No comments: