Monday, March 25, 2013

Spring Break

It's that time of year. Students and their families look forward to Spring Break so they can pack up and go somewhere or just chillax at home. For one week during the long spring semester there is a change of routine that somehow refreshes us. At least that's how it's supposed to work. My student did not look forward to returning to school. I've read posts of social media about not wanting to return to work. Maybe we've lost the idea of what a break really is. A break is a short period of relief from the normal.

I worked at IGA Stores while in high school. If you worked a shift of at least four hours you got a 15 minute break. After the fifteen minutes I went back to sacking groceries, stocking the milk cooler, and mopping floors. The break was not the end of the shift but just a short time to relax. Spring Break is the same but it's really hard for some of us to go back to the normal routine.

One of the highlights of Spring Break for me was attending Dogwood Church in Peachtree City, Georgia. We were on our way to Orlando and stopped in Newnan, Georgia to spend the night with friends. He's on staff at Dogwood Church so we went with them for the early service before hitting the road to complete the trip to Florida. As a preacher and worshiper, I was encouraged and challenged. I like hearing other preachers preach. I love congregational singing. My family felt right at home at Dogwood Church although we only knew two people. I hope that's the feeling guests have when they visit Cross Road.

The rest of the week was outstanding. The Disney parks are every bit as good as I had been told. It took me almost 49 years to get there and the wait was worth it. Add in a spring training baseball game and a stop at Duck Commander and this was a pretty good vacation!

It's over now. Break is over. Back to the normal routine. I'm not fussing about that. I was energized for our services at Cross Road yesterday and was energized BY them. Our people are really seeking revival. I think it's beginning to happen! We had revival services a couple of weeks ago but we cannot see the services like students view Spring Break. The services weren't the end but just the beginning. Revival services propel us forward into revival just like Spring Break ought to prepare us for the next two months.

I'm glad to have had the break but I'm glad it's over.

No comments: