Friday, April 19, 2013

Weekly Devotional - April 19, 2013

"Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent."
John 17:3 NIV

We've experienced another act of terrorism this week. Near the finish line of the Boston Marathon two bombs exploded killing three and injuring dozens. As I write this my Twitter feed is full of breaking news about the pursuit of the one suspect who remains alive and on the run.

Other terrorists have claimed a radical allegiance to someone or something that compelled them to act as they did. The details of the current situation are still coming out so we don't know what motivated these brothers to do what they did. I suspect they had a radical allegiance to someone or something. Perhaps time will allow us to know this.

I have no problem with radical allegiance. As a Christian, I am called by my Lord to have radical allegiance to him. Jesus Christ expects this of those who claim to be his followers. When you read the words of Jesus, don't you hear his call? "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me (Luke 9:23)." "No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God (Luke 9:62)." "Anyone who does not carry his cross and follow me cannot be my disciple (Luke 14:27)."

I understand radical allegiance. What I don't understand or agree with is why anyone would have radical allegiance to anything or anyone other than Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ calls us to love God and love others. He calls us to tell everyone about the Good News of salvation. Anyone who acts in the name of the Lord but is not fulfilling these calls is not acting Christ-like. Anyone who acts in the name of any other god is not Christian. There is only one true God.

Our faith compels us to radically obey Jesus Christ's commands. Doing so results in loving acts the point people to Jesus. Pray that God will help you live out your faith with radical allegiance.

No comments: