Monday, August 11, 2014

Sometimes God...

Sometimes God surprises me with a subtle change that helps my perspective. Deana's sister is moving and is not taking much furniture with her. So she's giving stuff away. Deana was excited when she told me about a tall dining/breakfast table and chairs. I've talked about those for a while but we have a dining room table and don't have space in the kitchen. Actually, we rarely eat in the dining room; mostly in our laps in the living room.

But we thought about getting the table and where we might put it. Deana suggested at the window in the living room. I could see it becoming the place where we eat and I didn't really like that. Plus, we would have to rearrange the living room to make room for it. Deana and Riley kept offering suggestions on how to rearrange and next thing you know...

Now I have a great work-at-home space with an AC vent at my feet. Here's the "Sometimes God..." part of all this. The serenity of the view into the backyard from my tall chair (trying not to call it a high chair) helps me focus. Somehow I feel like I'm sitting in a library with a view of a wooded landscape.

We have small group Bible study in our home from time to time. The new arrangement of the living room is going to be good for that. Maybe a few more seats but much more space. So God worked out something my family likes, I like, and the Bible study group will like.

How 'bout that!

Think about how many times you are reluctant to change like I was with the living room furniture. We - Christians, church people - resist change as much as anybody. We ought to start new Bible study classes but we like the "feel" of the one we have. We ought to update the facilities but we don't want to spend the money. We don't like it when someone messes with the look or sound of the services. We want to grow or reach more people but we don't want to lose the quaint coziness of our church just like it is.

Sometimes God wants us to change. When we dig in our heels and resist, not much good will happen. But when we roll up our sleeves and get to work at whatever it is God wants us to do, watch out!

How 'bout that!

No comments: