Monday, November 24, 2014

Peace on Earth

Driving through the city today making the stops necessary to complete my list of things to do, I listened to a lot of radio. I prefer talk radio - sports talk, specifically - because the music stations that play what I like are very sparse. Honestly, I spent too much time behind the microphone on my own radio show. Some of what I hear irritates the programmer in me. I should get over that, I know.

So as I listened to talk radio I heard local and national news broadcasts a few times. A particular lead-in really caught my attention. There was a confrontation between a white guy and an African American guy. I really don't have a problem calling races by color or continent of origin, but can't we be consistent? Some are offended when called a color. If a news network has determined that calling a particular race by a color may be offensive (and so they avoid it) then why don't they apply that decision to all races?

Either we're all colors or we're all continent of origin. In my opinion, both are silly. If you live in America, are an American citizen, have family roots in America, etc., then why can't we just say that you are an American? Remember the idea of being a melting pot?

In the news story I heard, the continent of origin and the color of the skin had nothing to do with the conflict. Two guys had a disagreement and settled it with force. One guy was black..or brown, the other guy was white..or beige. One guy was African American, the other guy was European American, I guess. Doesn't that sound silly?

The brokenness that sin brings upon us is most evident in this area. And it's a shame.

Later in my tour across our city I heard that the grand jury in Ferguson has made a decision and it will be made public later today. I can only imagine how the tensions between the races will be manifested after this.

I pray that the peace of Christ will rule in the hearts of all believers. Those who profess to follow Jesus should really try hard to follow Jesus during these days. The brokenness that engulfs our world can only be made right by the blood of Jesus Christ that was shed so that our sins could be forgiven.

Sins of racism can only be made right through Jesus. Hatred between people can only be made right through Jesus. We can only be "color blind" or "continent of origin blind" through Jesus who came that there could be peace on earth.

No comments: