Monday, May 25, 2015

New Memories

Memorial Day is a time set aside for Americans to remember and show gratitude for service men and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. We often mix in our gratitude for veterans and current armed forces personnel.

Because men and women have fought and died for our freedoms, we enjoy life like most in our world do not. I am thankful.

My grandfather served in the Army during WWII. He never talked about it. I never heard any stories. I never saw pictures or medals.

When my grandmother died last December we began going through box after box of pictures. Wow, what memories! I had a great childhood with lots of family.

Tucked away in one of the boxes or drawers was a treasure of pictures and postcards from the war years. My grandparents were so young. Dado was a handsome soldier. Mom was a beautiful young bride and mother.

We're not sure where those pictures and postcards are. Misplaced, not lost.

But new memories fill my mind. I read each postcard. I soaked in each picture.

If I never see the pictures and postcards again, I'm glad I got to spend a few hours filling in some of the blank spots in my understanding of my grandparents' lives.

No comments: