Tuesday, June 23, 2015

VBS Week

One of the great weeks on the church calendar is the week of Vacation Bible School. It's different than when I was a kid. No macaroni glued to cigar boxes. The music is a modern style. Decorations are more elaborate. We can post albums of photos online instantly.

But somethings remain the same. Jesus Christ is the center of attention. Kids that never go to church come to VBS. We say the pledges (not all churches do and I understand that). And it takes volunteers to make it happen.

I am thankful for the 20-something volunteers who are here early and stay late every day. They prepare for their responsibilities and love on the 50-60 kids. I wonder if a church with 10 times the kids also has 10 times the volunteers. Or are we just blessed with great volunteers? I think I know the answer to that.

Let me be honest, sometimes I wonder if the church understands what the church is all about and is supposed to do. Then VBS Week rolls around.

For many years I've harped about what we call churches with small membership. It's easy to just say there are big churches, medium-sized churches, and small churches. But membership has nothing to do with whether your church is big or small. All churches are big or small not based on numbers but on vision.

I'm proud to pastor a small membership church with a big vision.

I must go now. I can hear kids in the hallway. It's time to rotate!

No comments: