Sunday, January 21, 2018

Things Change

Today I announced to my church family that I have accepted a staff position with another church. That is harder to do that it seems. I have served Cross Road Baptist Church for eleven years. That is 20% of my life, more than half of my married life with Deana, and almost two-thirds of Riley's life. This is the longest job I've ever had. The next closest is six years.

God works in mysterious ways. That means I don't always understand why God does what he does. And I believe this is the work of God in my life, the life of CRBC, and the life of the church I'll soon serve. But I don't really understand it.

God is good all the time. That means that even if I don't understand (even if I don't like) what God is doing, it is good. God can do nothing else. Goodness is his nature so everything he does is good.

My time here is filled with great memories. We've seen many people give their lives to follow Jesus and have baptized them. Those are precious memories. We have travelled the globe engaging in God's work. I have fond memories of those who have gone with me and those who supported us in prayer and resources. We have mobilized to serve our community and almost every member has been a hands-on participant. I won't forget those people and mission moments.

I've worked alongside and prayed with some wonderful Christians. They have helped me mature as a Christian and as a pastor. Whether it was a challenge or a victory, we did it together. I'm glad the Lord works like that.

I've been their pastor as they welcomed babies into the world, married their children, reached milestones, and mourned the loss of loved ones. I've celebrated and mourned with them. Some of the best people I have known are part of the CRBC family.

There is a lot I don't know but this I do know: Following Jesus with others who follow Jesus is worthwhile.

Thank you, CRBC, for letting me be part of your lives. Thank you, Lord, for calling me here and keeping me here for these eleven years.

2 comments:

Darlena Smitth said...

Change is often good. Although CRBC will be sad to see you go. Where are you going?

Bob said...

I'm an associate pastor at First Southern Baptist Church in Bryant.