Saturday, May 05, 2018

Breakfast

I'm sitting across the table from Riley. He's eating cereal. I'm drinking coffee. Deana is still in bed.

It's 7:30. AM. I've been awake since 4:00 and up since about 4:45. AM. A!M! In the morning.

We bought melatonin last night. A couple of friends talk about it. Maybe it will help me sleep a little later. I forgot to take it last night.

But really, I wake up at moderate noise and since we now experience apartment life, moderate noise happens a lot. I wake up to moderate light, too. If I wake up and it's fairly daylight, I can't go back to sleep. Our apartment complex is well lit. And a light on a building across the way shines perfectly through the slot in the blinds where the cords go…right into my eyes if I'm sleeping on my left side.

I know, the fix is easy. Don't sleep on my left side and put a pillow over my head and play some white noise and… And I've tried the PM meds but don't want to take acetaminophen or ibuprofen so often. Maybe melatonin is the key. Or getting back to my high school graduation weight. Or even my college graduation weight. Or, hey, my seminary graduation weight would be an improvement. I have a Master of Divinity. Too much candy, I guess.

Riley just refilled his cereal bowl. Maybe he'd eat just one bowl of cereal if he had a Jethro Bodine bowl. Raise your hand if you know what that is.

Deana's still in bed.

I like to grind coffee beans and did this morning before 7:00. It didn't stir anyone. Not that I did it on purpose to stir them, of course.

My breakfast was an English muffin with peach preserves and a banana. And a cup of coffee. Or two. Half a pot, actually. Maybe the caffeine is why I sleep like I do!

Riley's breakfast is fueling him for a baseball game. The Baptist Prep Eagles are playing in their regional tournament today. They have already qualified for the state tournament. Today's game will determine their seeding.

(I've been meaning to look this up. Is "seed" the proper term? Or is it "cede" or something else?)

The Eagles have had a 5-year drought with no appearances in regionals or state. These are exciting times. Worth getting up early for. Worth an extra bowl of cereal. Worth the 2-hour drive.

I don't get to have breakfast with Riley very often but today is special. Because of the baseball but mostly because I get to have breakfast with Riley.

No comments: