Monday, December 05, 2005

Discipline

I just received a call from my 4-year-old's K4 teacher. Seems I have a very talkative boy. The trail of discipline is that the teacher first corrects him, then writes his name on the board, then puts him in time out for 5 minutes, then puts him in time out for 15 minutes, then calls his daddy. Yikes!

So, I have to determine the proper discipline to enact upon him to bring about the desired result of being quiet and paying attention to the teacher when appropriate.

"The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." That's Proverbs 1:7.

The fear of the Lord is an awesome respect for God that leads to an great understanding of who he is. Knowing God is the beginning of all knowledge. How can one know anything about the universe until they know the creator of it? How can one truly know the workings of the human body until they know its designer? The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge.

As knowledge fills our minds we begin to implement some of it; hopefully, we implement a lot of it. Wisdom is the implementation of our knowledge. You can have abundant knowledge but still be a fool if you fail to implement your knowledge. Knowledge, by itself, is not much; there's not much useful in simply knowing. The advantage is in the implementation!

Now, to the point of this post. Discipline is the steady, increasing implementation of knowledge. I'm not too smart when it comes to health; my knowledge is lacking. I know I should lose weight but I am not wise about it. You can tell because I don't implement what little knowledge I have. There have been times when I have implemented this knowlege and lost a significant amount of weight. But I've yet to show discipline by consistently applying this knowledge and keeping the weight off.

It takes discipline to lose weight. It takes discipline to learn a second language. It takes discipline to be a follower of Christ ("If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself, take up his cross daily, and follow me.")

And it takes discipline to not talk while the teacher is talking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, how true! Why is it so hard to have disciplie? Satan doesn't want us to. Let's prove him wrong, we can have discipline!!