Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Happy Fish

Riley is getting an aquarium for his birthday. We told him a few days early so he could help set up the tank. We washed the gravel, placed all the ornaments, filled the tank with water, and attached the heater and the filter. He had a ball helping do all this. We even made a run to PetsMart to get a few extras. We're waiting a couple of days to buy the fish because the water would kill the fish if we put them in today. But the experts tell us that if we let the filter run for a couple of days then the water will be OK and the fish will live. We definitely want the fish to live! Wouldn't that be a sorry birthday present?

Now Riley is at my mother's for a couple of days. He'll be back Thursday for his birthday party and when we get home afterwards...fish in the fish tank! We're all pretty excited about this. We've never (ever) had fish before!

Riley was looking into the lighted aquarium admiring the stuff. He said, "My fish are gonna be really happy!" The tank is perfect.

I got to thinking: Am I providing surroundings that will make my family really happy? Am I encouraging an atmosphere that will make my co-workers really happy? Am I promoting fellowship that will make my church really happy?

I'm not talking about "happiness" as an emotional euphoria. I'm talking about an inner sense of joy, excitement, and contentment that can only be found in a relationship with Jesus Christ.

Happy are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Happy are those who mourn for they will be comforted.
Happy are the meek for they will inherit the earth.
Happy are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness for they will be filled.
Happy are the merciful for they will be shown mercy.
Happy are the pure in heart for they will see God.
Happy are the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God.
Happy are those who are persecuted because of righteousness for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

No comments: