Thursday, March 16, 2006

March Madness

I'm not a gambler. I believe it is poor stewardship of the resources God has given me. But I always fill out the NCAA brackets just to see how I do. I don't do very well. But it's fun.

Eleven games are complete and I've picked ten winners. Duke, Illinois, Syracuse, Washington, and Indiana are my remaining picks for the day. I stand a good chance of doing extremely well.

You have to feel sorry for some of the teams. They come from small conferences, won their conference tournament, and then get matched with a powerhouse. But games are played on paper so the boys suit up and take it to the hardwood.

We get to watch it all. CBS has a $6B package with the NCAA for tournament rights. The premier announcing team for CBS raked the NCAA selection committee over the coals for some of the teams picked for the tournament. You'd think Jim and Billy would just do their jobs.

ESPN is no better. They invested $s in this Bracketology thing and their guru ripped the committee. Would you like a little cheese with that whine?

I guess I should be living in another time. I don't appreciate anything about an announcer ripping a player, coach, team, another analyst, etc. I may boycott the CBS broadcasts and listen on the radio. CBS probably gets a cut of that, too. It takes a lot of money to pay Jim and Billy to act like they don't care that they have jobs most guys would love to have. I just don't get it. It's madness.

No comments: