Friday, November 05, 2010

Alaska

I'm in Alaska for a Men's Advance for churches in the Soldotna area. Then I'll be part of revival services at College Heights Baptist Church in Soldotna. I'm here through Thursday.

Not doing what you might think. I am a preacher and I love to preach and teach. But in my wide variety of experience, I am a musician of sorts. I don't think I'm all that, but I do enjoy it. And I spent many years leading music in churches and singing in gospel groups.

Through a strange connection of events, I'm here to lead music for the conference and revival. I kinda like that. I enjoy the few minutes each Sunday when I sit at the piano and lead our church in worship. But I'm a little apprehensive doing this for folks who have been led to believe I'm good at it. Danny Johnson is quite the salesman – even though he won't admit it.

So here I am. November is Alaska reminds me of Russia. There's not as much snow, yet, and the temperatures are around 0 degrees C instead of 0 degrees F. But the tall pines weighted down with snow is a pretty sight – and one that makes me think of the Sverdlovskaya Oblast.

Chuck, the man who owns the facility where I am staying – a VERY nice facility – took me out onto the deck this morning with excitement. It was 8:00 but still very dark because we are so far north. He took a spotlight and shined it alongside the road leading to the house. I large moose was munching on some grass sticking up through the snow. Chuck says it's only about a year old – just a small moose. But it must have been seven or eight feet tall! I hope I get to see a BIG one.

Just a few minutes ago I raised the blinds on my window to take a picture of the pretty scene just outside my room. I took a couple of pictures, turned away for a few seconds, then turned back to see the same moose walking past. I am a little slow getting the camera set to take a picture so I just have his backside. Check it out on www.facebook.com/bobloyd.

It's gonna be a great week It will be full of worship, teaching, sharing, and beautiful scenery. I'll try to post some pictures here as well as on my Facebook page.

No comments: