Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Deposit Correction

I'm pretty good at math. When Riley needs help with his homework, Deana defers to me. Granted, that's just 6th grade math, but I made good grades in math in high school and college. As far as our family goes, I'm the go-to guy.

So I was pretty irritated with myself when I opened the hand-addressed envelop from our bank today. Inside was a notice that a deposit correction had to be made on our account because I ADDED THE CHECKS WRONG ON THE DEPOSIT SLIP!!!

We don't have much money so it wasn't that big a deal. But you'd think I could add two numbers together and get the right answer. Maybe if I had not been filling out the deposit slip while driving down the road, texting, and eating a sausage biscuit...

No, no, no! I wasn't doing any of that. I filled out the slip in the bank parking lot with my car's transmission in park. So I have no excuse. I just messed up.

Remember the card in the Monopoly game that says, "Bank error in your favor. Collect $___"? That must only happen in board games. Why can't the mistakes go in my favor? Have you ever noticed that? When you make a mistake in the checkbook the correction almost always goes in the bank's favor. The next time it goes my way I'll be sure to be thankful!

I can be thankful in this, too, because the error was brought to my attention quickly so we didn't spend money we didn't have. I guess what I first thought was bad news is really good news.

If you'll try looking for the good news among what seems to be the bad, your day will probably go much better.

No comments: