Friday, January 11, 2013

Weekly Devotional - January 11, 2013

"I waited patiently for the Lord,
he turned to me and heard my cry."
Psalm 40:1 NIV
 
French playwright and actor from the seventeenth century, Moliere said, "Trees that grow slow bear the best fruit." We like the fruit but don't like the wait. My dad planted peach trees but said it would be three years before they produced fruit. I wouldn't say the fruit was very good that third year; it was going to take a little longer.
 
Waiting is not so bad when you're not in a hurry. I put the last toner cartridge in the copy machine about three months ago. A cartridge usually lasts about three months so I figured I had plenty of time. Ordering more cartridges was not an emergency. This morning I went across town to the supplier to get one because we will not be able to copy anything for this weekend's services without it. It was easy to wait to place the order three months ago. But when the lady squinted her eyes as she look through the list of inventory on her computer screen I thought, "I have no time for this. You have to have one!" I hope my outer countenance showed more calm than I really felt.
 
David wrote Psalm 40 and was probably referring to a military crisis in the first verse. Imagine the enemy closing in around the king and his army. Perhaps he had tried a couple of maneuvers that had always worked in previous battles but not this time. His men may have noticed their lack of power. Surely someone came to David with suggestions. Maybe the conversations weren't pleasant.
 
Yet David waiting patiently for the Lord. You've tried all you know to try and haven't gotten the results you expected or needed, haven't you? You're out of ideas to make the marriage work, aren't you? What are you going to do now?
 
Wait patiently on the Lord. Trust that he will hear your cry. You are crying out to him for help, aren't you? He loves you and will help you. Pray that God will help you trust him and wait patiently for his help to arrive.

No comments: