Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Reasons to Read the Bible This Year

Most Christians want to read the Bible. I believe that is a true statement although I have no research to back me up. If the data is out there, please send it to me so I can stop making this unfounded statement and begin saying it with proof to back me up! Regardless, I believe most of you want to read the Bible. And many of you do.

Do you find the resolution to read the Bible everyday or to read it through in a year is easy to make but hard to keep? I've made the resolution countless times only to fizzle a few weeks later. Then I beat myself up for a few weeks. Then I forget all about it until January 1 next year!

Reading God's word shouldn't be felt as a task but should be engaged as a love affair. I've had jobs where I just hit the alarm clock, showered and shaved, punched the time clock, and served my time. What a shame to approach the Bible with an attitude like that.

Spending time with my wife makes me happy. I look forward to it. I plan (I can do better) for it. And I'm better for it. That's how reading the Bible should be. Is reading the Bible something you feel you have to do or something you love to do? There's a huge difference.

So why should you read the Bible this year? First, the Bible is God's word to us. It is his primary way of speaking to us. His Spirit inspired its writers and makes it come alive to its readers. God has a plan and purpose for your life. Where will you find them? In the Bible.

Second, the Bible has answers to the problems you face, questions you ask, and situations you're in. A word of wisdom from the Proverbs, encouragement from the histories, instruction from the letters, or hope from the gospels is waiting on you. Those who read the Bible regularly can testify to the timely way the message comes to them. The message may come the day before so that you are prepared. It may come the day of as a lifeline. Or it may come the day after to help you make sense of it all. But the answers are there in the Bible.

Third, the Bible is good reading. The writers held nothing back. You get the whole story. The sin, the seduction, the mischief, the mistakes. You see the good and bad sides of people. You see heartbreak but you also see restoration. You see brokenness but you also see forgiveness. You see hopelessness but you also see hope. The Bible is much more than a storybook, history book, or novel, but it is a good read, nonetheless.

Maybe you've discovered other reasons to read the Bible. Please share them with me. I'm still at the point that I need encouragement to make and keep this commitment.

Now let me add one thing about reading ALL the Bible. We are often drawn to our favorite parts. You may read the Psalms or the Gospels or Paul's letters but skip the histories and prophecies and genealogies.

Read it ALL. Don't neglect what you think are the hard or boring or convicting parts. Everything in the Bible is there for a reason. God speaks through all of it. And throughout the entire story is woven a theme of the BIG story: redemption. The things you need to know about God are that he loves you, sent his son to die for your sins, and offers you forgiveness and redemption. That's the story of the Bible, cover to cover.

Reading plans are available to help you get started and keep you on track. Some help you read the entire Bible in a year, 6 months, or even 90 days. I like the one-year plan but I'm not that concerned that you read the Bible through this year. I'm interested in encouraging you to read all of the Bible on a regular basis. So let's get started!

2013 holds many challenges and opportunities. God's word holds the keys to surviving the thriving through them.

No comments: