Monday, June 24, 2013

He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

On the drive into town last night we saw the Super Moon on the eastern horizon. Wrapped in clouds, it was a spectacular sight. We stopped along the rural road to take a picture, which didn't turn out. Had I been thinking I would have taken a better camera for that kind of shot. Anyway, I'm enjoying looking at the pictures of the moon that are posted online today.
taken by my friend Rick Smith
at 4:15 am June 24, 2013

Three days a week I get up at 4:30 to walk 2+ miles. I've been doing it for almost 18 months so I find it hard to sleep much past 4:30 the other 4 days of the week. I ventured outside with the dog just after 5:00 this morning and found the Super Moon headed toward the crystal clear western horizon. It was a spectacular sight, too.

Beyond the moon are millions of stars. Beyond those are millions more. And God has the whole spectacular world in his hands.

Let me clarify who I am talking about. "God" has become a generic term that encompasses specific ideas of deity as well as generally anything, so I have to be careful not to ascribe to a false god what only the one, true, living God does.

The Christian Bible tells us who he is, what he is like, what he does, and how we can know him. Psalm 19 declares his glory in saying that creation points to his glory, that the Law of God points to his glory, and that his people point to his glory. The Super Moon was screaming of God's glory last night and this morning. The Bible constantly reveals the glory of God. I want my life to be as consistent as God's creation and his word in pointing people to him.

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer" (Psalm 19:14 NIV).

No comments: