Thursday, June 20, 2013

Some Thoughts on Relationships

In our Bible study last night we talked about the creation of humanity. Of course, we took the biblical perspective starting with Genesis 1:26-27, Genesis 2:4-25, and Ephesians 5:22 & 25.

Three takeaways challenged me. First, I am in a relationship with God because he is my creator and I'm created in him image. God says in Isaiah 45 that the pot does not ask the potter why he's doing what he is. The pot is completely at the will of the potter. Likewise, I am completely at the will of God. He created me for his glory and my good. If I am obedient to the Lord then I am fulfilling my purpose as a created being.

Second, I am in relationships with other people because we are all his creation. One aspect of being created in God's image is that humans are capable of and in need of relationship. We work together, live together, play together. We are responsible to one another. And we need each other. If I take seriously the Lord's command to love my neighbor as myself, then I will make the most of the relationships I have with others.

Third, I am in a relationship with my spouse within the context of marriage. Adam was given the position of authority within the family; Eve was created to be his helper. They were both created in God's image so are equal in value yet have different responsibilities. In God's design I must be the spiritual leader of my family, I must remain faithful to my wife, I must love her as Christ loved the church.

OK, so I have a lot of stuff to think about, some changes to make, and a few sins to confess. Do you?

No comments: