Thursday, February 06, 2014

Atheists and Jesus Statues

When I walk through a shopping center and see a store display that exposes a morality that makes me uncomfortable, I just walk on by. I guess I could protest and picket. I could scream at the manager. I could try to keep customers out of the store. I could vandalize the place. But I just walk on by.

I'm not typical of most Christians, though. Some will want to do all those things (except the walking by part) to raise awareness and to condemn the "heathen." Others think even less of it than I do. While I have a problem with the public display of immorality, not all Christians do. So I'm not typical.

Maybe there's no such thing as a typical atheist either. I read a story today from The Christian Post about a group of atheists who "filed an appeal against a ruling that allowed the 'Big Mountain Jesus' statue at Whitefish Mountain Ski Resort to stay in place." You can read the article here if you are interested.

The atheists don't want a statue of Jesus at the ski lodge. I understand that. I don't want live lingerie models in the windows of stores in the mall. But I walk on by. They file a lawsuit and then appeal the court's decision.

Many of my friends are in the "can't we all just get along" camp. I think getting along is fine. I think imposing beliefs on someone is wrong. I think keeping someone from believing what they want is wrong.

We live in a society where a high premium is placed on the freedom to choose. We just don't want to live with the consequences.

Getting along means that I don't carry cans of black spray paint with me when I go to the malls so I can black out the windows and cover the displays I don't like.

Getting along means that I don't refuse someone the opportunity to worship (or not) as they please.

I can get along with someone who doesn't agree with my beliefs about God. And I should. But that doesn't mean I give up my beliefs or tone them down or hold them in. I am free to express my beliefs and so are they. I am free to share my beliefs and so are they. But none of us are free to impose our beliefs on someone else.

When confronted with beliefs you don't believe, you can express your beliefs but you shouldn't be able to suppress someone else's beliefs.

Don't get me wrong: I think I'm right about God and Jesus and heaven and hell and sin and forgiveness. You have the freedom to choose to believe or not believe. But you have to live with the consequences of your choices.

No comments: