Thursday, September 04, 2014

Facing Mistakes

I'm excited about heading to Pottsville tonight for Riley's first Junior High football game. The Arkansas Baptist Eagles face the Pottsville Apaches at 7:00. I have no idea what to expect!

Heading to Pottsville brings to mind a couple or three mistakes I've made. Pottsville itself is not a mistake. We lived there for a couple of years. Riley's first home was in Pottsville. A couple of different decisions and, who knows, Riley could be on the Pottsville sideline tonight.

Without going into detail about the mistakes, I'll just say that one had to do with relationships, one had to do with stewardship, and one had to do with calling.

I believe God has a plan for each of us. If we are able to seek and understand and follow the Holy Spirit's guidance in every situation we would follow that plan without deviation. The truth is that we sometimes follow our own guidance or the guidance of others who may not be speaking on behalf of the Lord.

So we get of the path the Lord has planned for us.

I do not believe that even our mistakes are God's will or plan for us. My mistakes have led me into sin and that certainly cannot be God's desire. God's desire will bring me away from sinfulness and toward Christ-likeness.

My desires often lead me the other way. "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart" (Psalm 37:4). The key to this verse unfolding in my life is to delight myself in the Lord. Then my desires will match his desires and he'll give me those things. I really don't think God will give me the desires of my heart if my heart doesn't match his heart - especially when those desires are result in sin and straying.

I want to do better. I want to honor God with my relationships, stewardship, and calling. A friend recently taught me that most of us want to do better, we just don't have the courage or faith to carry out that desire. The first few verses of the Book of Joshua remind me to be courageous based on God's promises and his word. My courage doesn't come from within me but from God and my faith in him to do what only he can do and to help me do what he wants me to do.

By grace God had a plan for me. He handed it to me. I messed it up and handed it back. He took it and, in grace, worked all things for good. He handed a revised plan back to me. That cycle has occurred several times in my life but grace has always answered failure. I praise God for that!

There are some reminders in Pottsville. They don't serve to keep me regretting the past. They challenge me to be courageous today and in the future so I can better achieve God's desires (which are becoming my desires, too).

...but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. (Isaiah 40:31)

Go Eagles!

No comments: