Monday, September 22, 2014

I Am a Champion!

I have the trophy to prove it. I am a champion golfer.

Last weekend I was part of a 4-Man Scamble Tournament of Arkansas Baptist Men. And we won our flight. By two strokes. We shot 4-under par.

I am a champion. But I'm a terrible golfer. There is no way I could be a champion on my own.

Here's the story...

My Dad called and asked if I wanted to play in the tournament. Sure I did so I asked what it cost. He said he'd pay my entry fee so I could be on his team.

The way a scramble works is that all team-members tee off. Then the team decides whose ball they want to play next. You usually choose the ball that's in the best position for the next shot. Then three players pick up their balls and play from the best position. I picked up my ball a lot! I can't remember choosing my ball more than a couple of times.

My Dad invited me. He paid the entry fee. We played his ball all day long. I picked mine up, put it in my pocket, and am a champion. All I did was accept the invitation; someone else did all the work. But on my bookshelf sits a trophy that says, "Champion."

Here's another story...

Jesus invited me to be part of his family. That's an impossibility because I am a sinner. But Jesus paid the penalty for my sins since I could do nothing about it. I've never been able to live up the expectation of being in his family (expectations I set), but he always forgives me and let's me live in his righteousness.

All I did was accept the invitation to be part of his family, my sins are forgiven, and now I am a Christian.

No comments: