Thursday, October 01, 2015

I Played Quarterback for the Oilers

Yes, it's true. I played quarterback for the Oilers. It was just one season but it really happened. The year was 1976. It was before the Houston Oilers moved to Nashville and became the Titans.

It was before a lot of things.

It was before the Landers car dealership was built at the Alcoa exit in Bryant, AR.

I know because that's where we practiced.

Wait, do you think I'm talking about the Houston Oilers of the NFL?

No, I played quarterback for one season on the Caldwell Oilers in the PFL - the peewee football league. The Houston Oilers? Are you kidding me? I was only 12!

A couple of weeks ago I told Riley to tell his football coach that I played quarterback for one season with the Oilers.

He told him.

I wish I was like Riley. He'll say just about anything I tell him to say. I wish I would say anything and everything my Heavenly Father tells me to say.

Maybe Riley has more confidence in me than I have in God. Like a man told Jesus one day, "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

OK. So here's the picture. This is part of a collage my mother put together several years ago. That's me at 12 years old. Cool hair. Probably the only quarterback to ever wear #70.

I had never played quarterback before. Except a little at recess and in the front yard of the Colonial Arms Apartments in Dardanelle. But I did play quarterback for the Oilers.

And Riley told his coach. Just like I told him to.

"Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

No comments: